Trace Gautam Buddha’s footsteps across the Indian sub-continent into a transcendental journey of spirituality, wisdom, peace, and serenity. Experience all the treasured locations, the place of his birth, his spiritual struggles, sites of his meditations, location of his first sermon, his teachings, his attainment of enlightenment and his final resting place. Visit magnificent monasteries and stunning stupas which deliver the message of peace and non-violence more relevant to our life and times than ever before.
Suitable for reduced mobility, blind, deaf, intellectual, certain cases of amputees, cognitive disability and the non-disabled travelers
- Soak up the serenity of Lumbini, the birthplace of Gautam Buddha nestled in the heart of the Himalayas. A UNESCO World Heritage Site, it contains the site of birth, the 2200 years old Mayadevi temple and the famed Ashoka pillar.
- Meditate in spectacular and diverse monasteries built by countries from around the world like China, Japan, Sri Lanka, Myanmar, Germany, and France in Lumbini.
- In Bodhgaya, worship the Mahabodhi tree under which Buddha attained enlightenment. Another UNESCO World Heritage Site, it also houses a magnificent Buddha statue and the Mahabodhi Temple.
- Pay homage to the enlightened one at Sarnath where he delivered his first sermon after nirvana. Also, visit the Ashoka Pillar which is now the proud symbol of India.
- Contemplate the cycle of life and death in Kushinagar where Buddha died and attained parinirvana.
- Pay deference to the holy soil of Vaishali surrounded by groves of mango and banana where Buddha preached his last sermon before his death
- Refresh your mind and soul in the natural serenity of Rajgir where Buddha spent many years giving sermons. Also, visit Saptaparni Caves where the First Buddhist Council was held to compile Buddha’s teachings after his death.
- Take a dip in the ponds of Rajgir which are deemed to have medicinal properties for healing skin diseases.
- Explore the archaeological remains of Nalanda, a monastic and scholastic institution dating back to 3rd century BC which spread organized knowledge for over 800 years. Its stupas, shrines, buildings, and artworks stand testimony to the development of Buddhism as a religion.
- Visit the Nava Nalanda Mahavihara, the modern university inspired by ancient Nalanda University.
Best time to visit – October to March
Categories of Accommodation
- Charming Homestays
- An inclusive trip wherein people with various disabilities and people without any disabilities travel together.
- Private tours, solo trips, romantic getaways and trips with family/friends/colleagues, etc also available.
- Bespoke experiences can be designed as per the disability of the traveler and their interests.
- A sign language interpreter for deaf travelers.
- A dedicated travel buddy for the blind available at a supplementary cost.
- Adapted accessible vehicles are available at a supplementary cost.
- Local communities are extensively involved in all our travel operations as part of our sustainable and responsible tourism practices.
“It was like a homecoming, a very unique and innovative initiative. It is not just a physical trip but an inner transformation happens when a disabled person travels with a group of strangers. Planet Abled takes care of every minute detail and each person’s special needs. It is a must for every physically impaired person.”
Bhupendra (visually impaired), Sept 2017
“Would strongly recommend Planet Abled for anyone who would like to handcraft a vacation… They excelled with the consummate local know-how, best of local guides and right execution partners at all destinations”
Joe Kattackal, Oct 2018
“One of the most well-organized trips I’ve been on, thanks to Planet Abled!”
Balu D, Dec 2018